Bake the delicious chocolate chip cookies Chewonki’s kitchen makes on the first night of camp every summer! When we bake them, we make 12 dozen and use up to 8 cups of chocolate chips! We’ve sized the recipe down so you don’t make too many.
We love to make chocolate chip cookies at camp because they are a comfort food for so many people in the United States. Food can make us feel at home, and teach us about the place we are.
Bake chocolate chip cookies, or another comfort food to share with the people you live with!
1 cup softened butter
¾ cup granulated white sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream together the softened butter, and the white and brown sugar until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs and the vanilla extract
- Stir in the flour, salt, baking soda, and chocolate chips.
- Chill your dough for up to an hour in the fridge. (This will ensure they are fluffy and chewy, not thin and crunchy)
- Scoop onto a greased cookie sheet, leaving space between the cookies.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 350ºF, for 8 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and enjoy!
- What kinds of foods make you feel at home?
- What sort of food is popular where you live?
- Where did the ingredients for these cookies come from?
Share with your Community:
Take photos of your baking adventure! Draw a comic strip or picture of the process, or the final product! Take a moment to answer the closing questions and share your writing, art, or photos with us in the Camp Chewonki@Home community galleries in Chapin Hall!