Happy Black History Month!
The theme for February is UNIQUENESS! The adjective unique is used to describe something that is one-of-a-kind and unlike anything else. I spent a little time looking for a quote to help me think about why it is important to celebrate the ways in which I am one-of-a-kind. I found a quote by Maya Angelou, an American poet and civil rights activist, that says: “If you are always trying to be normal, you will never know how amazing you can be.” This quote brings to mind a summer at Camp Chewonki. We arrive hoping to meet new friends and fit in with our cabin mates. Over the course of the summer we learn about all of the things that makes each of us special and unique so that, when we return home, we leave camp seeing how amazing we can be!
This month, spend some time with the folks at home thinking about ways you and those around you are unique. Ask each other these questions: Do you have a skill or hobby that you can teach others? Do you play a special role in a friend or family member’s life? Each of us has the power to make a difference in the lives of others. What is your power?
FROM THE CAMP OFFICE:
- Packing Lists are up on the website. Summer 2021 Packing Lists
- Medical Forms: Due April 1. Campers must have a physical exam within one year of attending camp. Make sure you have a doctor’s appointment scheduled. For questions regarding medical forms contact email@example.com.
- Travel To/From Camp – Watch this space for information on buses and airport shuttles. It may be necessary to make your camp travel plans a little later this summer. We are closely monitoring the CDC and the TSA and will share details with families as soon as they become available.
NEWS FROM THE NECK:
Catch up with your favorite animals in this month’s updates:
- Salt Marsh Farm – learn about what the Chewonki farmers are up to on the farm this month and read some exciting news about who will be joining us on the farm this summer!
- Wildlife Center – learn about the cool navigation app animals use to migrate each year!
CONNECT WITH THE CAMP COMMUNITY
Camp Chewonki @ Home:
Enrolled campers and their families can gather once a month to make friends, play games, and keep the Chewonki community strong.
Please RSVP in advance. (All events are listed in Eastern Standard Time.)
- February 18, 2021 – 7:00 PM (RSVP)
Visit our Events page for more information about upcoming opportunities to connect. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With best wishes from Chewonki Neck,