The theme for March is Creativity! The end of winter arrives later this month on 20th and if you’re like us, you’re ready to come alive again after the dark and cold of the last few months. Now is a great time to think about ways to engage your mind and body in creative new ways. Quoting Maya Angelou again, “You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have!”
Let your creativity run free this spring. If you’re stumped with where to start, look to your surroundings for inspiration. When was the last time you reorganized your bedroom? Are there any art projects you’ve been wanting to do? Perhaps there will be one more snowfall and you can create a fun scene with snow creatures of all shapes and sizes!
And you don’t have to make something to be creative. Why not learn a new song to sing or play on an instrument? Is there a creative way you can improve someone else’s day with a joke, a riddle, or thoughtful word of friendship? Remember, there is no need to limit yourself to one creative activity this month. If you take inspiration from Maya Angelou, once you start getting creative, you won’t want to stop!
FROM THE CAMP OFFICE:
- Camp Shirts: Please note that there’s been a change in shirt requirements for the upcoming summer. Campers will NO LONGER be required to come to camp with six shirts. However, all participants will be given two Chewonki t-shirts upon their arrival at camp. Yay! We will send an email next month to ask for updated t-shirt sizes.
- Chewonki Store: It’s time to begin thinking about ordering logo’d items for the summer. We have lots of fun, new things. Get your orders in early while supplies last. Click here to visit our store.
- Packing Lists are up on the website. Summer 2021 Packing Lists
- Medical Forms: Due April 1. Campers must have a physical exam within one year of attending camp. Make sure you have a doctor’s appointment scheduled. For questions regarding medical forms contact email@example.com.
- Travel To/From Camp – Watch this space for information on buses and airport shuttles. It may be necessary to make your camp travel plans a little later this spring. We are closely monitoring the CDC and the TSA and will share details with families as soon as they become available.
NEWS FROM THE NECK:
Catch up with your favorite animals in this month’s updates:
- Salt Marsh Farm – the sheep have been sheared, so you know what that means…lambing season is here!
- Wildlife Center – it’s still pretty frigid in Maine, but critters that have been sleeping all winter are preparing to wake up to spring! P.S. – your Scrabble word of the month is brumate.
CONNECT WITH THE CAMP COMMUNITY
Virtual Info Session – Ages 14+
March 11 @ 7:00 pm EST (RSVP)
Learn about our Leadership Expeditions (backpacking, canoeing, whitewater kayaking, and sea kayaking). Meet the program leaders, see photos and participate in a live Q & A session. Open to newly signed up trip participants and prospective trip participants and their families.
Camp Chewonki @ Home:
Enrolled campers and their families can gather once a month to make friends, play games, and keep the Chewonki community strong.
Please RSVP in advance. (All events are listed in Eastern Standard Time.)
- March 18, 2021 – 7:00 PM (RSVP)
Visit our Events page for more information about upcoming opportunities to connect. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With best wishes from Chewonki Neck,