The theme for May is Courage! The arrival of May means the end of the school year is near and we are almost ready for camp. The final weeks of school require one final burst of effort and focus – the end is in sight and we’ve been working hard all year filling our brains with new learnings.
In 2021, especially, the school year may have been your hardest year yet. Many of us have spent a lot of time stuck in our homes, isolated from friends and family, or, at the very least, distanced from our peers and loved ones because of COVID. The pandemic has been a scary time in our lives, filled with many challenges. Luckily, we can learn to overcome these challenges with courage. Many people think of courage as being fearless. However, as many great minds have shared in books, movies, and speeches, courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is the ability to acknowledge our fears and try something new or hard.
We learn courage at camp each summer as we take on new experiences or challenges. This summer might be the longest time you’ve spent away from your family. You might be going on a longer cabin trip. You might be in a cabin with new friends. Perhaps you will try a new food or swim in the cold Maine waters for the first time. There are so many exciting challenges at camp that require your courage. Not all of them will be easy to overcome, but that is a large part of why we go to camp. We go to camp to challenge ourselves and meet new friends who will help us learn the courage to face the challenges head on.
We are all looking forward to welcoming you to Chewonki in a few short weeks and we are excited to be courageous alongside you this summer!
FROM THE CAMP OFFICE:
- Travel form is due May 15. Transportation Form – This is newly formatted as a Google Form. (The transportation form is no longer accessible from your CampInTouch dashboard.) There are significant changes for 2021. Please read this information and get in touch if you have any questions. Transportation and Travel Information.
- Packing Lists are up on the website. Summer 2021 Packing Lists. We’re here to help!
- Medical Forms and CampMeds:
NEWS FROM THE NECK:
Catch up with your favorite animals in this month’s updates:
- Salt Marsh Farm – so much newness on the farm this month. New plants, new fields, and new baby animals. Come check it out!
- Wildlife Center – we have new arrivals in the Wildlife Center. Come meet our new reptile and mammal animal ambassadors and learn a little about their journey to Chewonki!
UPCOMING FAMILY TOWN HALL
- Arrival and Wellness Town Hall – For all camp families. Join us for a discussion around what to expect on opening days. Get the latest information on health and wellness, including COVID-19 protocol updates and tick safety.
JUNE 1, 2021 7:00 pm (Eastern Time) RSVP here
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
With best wishes from Chewonki Neck,